Red Carpet Beauty: 2012 Oscars Gwyneth Paltrow, Maya Rudolph, Emma Stone & Jessica Chastain Wednesday 29 February, 2012
Golden glows, winged eye liner and shine-enhanced hairstyles give celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain and Maya Rudolph red-carpet beauty power at the 2012 Oscars.
The Oscars: Notably the biggest awards show for Movie Land’s finest—and also the one red carpet where going a little too extreme with beauty and wardrobe can backfire. Hey, this isn’t the Grammys where anything goes—so kudos to Gwyneth Paltrow for bringing some fashion WTF-ness to the Oscars red carpet with that Tom Ford peaked-shoulder white cape. I mean, yowsa. That was ballsy. (But, it should be noted, I love it. I’m a sucker for shoulder pads.)
But for the beauty, it all seemed rather subdued. And that’s OK. There’s a time and a place for risk-taking, and the Oscars ain’t one of them. So, wading through this sea of suitable glamour, here’s a look at how some of these A-listers dug their heels into hair and makeup.
Overall Inspiration: “It’s elegantly bronzed,” shares Leslie of the glowing makeup design. “The dress makes such a statement, but it also has no color, so we needed to create a makeup look that complemented the dress and was still sophisticated enough for the red carpet.”
Get the Look:
1. Apply NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 PA +++ to the face. “I really love the Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer because it gives a sun-kissed look to skin, and is perfect against a white dress!” Leslie exclaims.
2. Pat NARS Super Orgasm Illuminator onto the apples of the cheeks for a pinked flush.
3. Brush on the champagne side of NARS Alhambra Duo Eyeshadow onto the eyelid for a pop of gold, followed by Maybelline brown liquid eyeliner along the lash line.
4. Play up lashes with a few coats of NARS Larger Than Life Volumizing Mascara.
5. Apply NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 PA +++ to the neck, décolletage, and shoulders to subtly deepen skin tone. Follow with a light application of St. Tropez Gold Skin Illuminator on the cheek bones, brow bone and collarbone. “This creates a natural glow which complements Gwyneth’s fair skin tone,” Leslie shares.
6. Finish with NARS Odalisque Larger Than Life Lip Gloss.
(Products Used: TRESemmé)
Overall Inspiration: “I was inspired by her beautiful gown and wanted to create a style that was a modern-day homage to old Hollywood glamour,” says John D.
Get the Look:
1. Prep towel-dried hair with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Mousse, combing a generous amount of the product through with fingertips for even distribution.
2. Blow-dry hair with a round brush for bumped-up volume.
3. Take 1- to 2-inch sections of hair and curl using a 1½-inch-barrel curling iron, spraying each section with TRESemmé Thermal Creations Curl Activator Spray prior to curling to aid in protecting hair from excess heat. “A smaller barrel curling iron ensures a strong curl pattern. After curling each section, gently pull on the section with fingertips to loosen the curl,” John D. says.
4. After curling the entire head, create a deep side part and pull all the hair over the opposing shoulder.
5. Spray TRESemmé TRES Two Ultra Fine Mist on a bristle brush, gently brushing through curls to create shiny, smooth waves.
6. Fasten the style with a few bobby pins at the nape of the neck and finish with a spritz of TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray to lock the look in place.
Overall Inspiration: “It was all about the dress!” says Mara. “The bow of the dress reminded me of a flower, and the bun I created in the back went from ear to ear to look like a flower with a loose and fresh feel. I wanted to keep Emma’s hair structured without feeling too stiff, and the bun allowed for her look to be simple and elegant yet fresh.” For makeup, Rachel drew upon softer shades of pink to play to both Emma’s pale skin tone and the fabulous fuchsia of her Giambattista Valli gown.
Get the Hair Look:
1. Rake Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment through wet hair from the ends and working up. Blow-dry strands until sleek and smooth.
2. Pull hair into a mid-height ponytail and begin wrapping individual sections of hair in an oblong shape, securing each piece with a bobby pin and making sure to keep the design loose and wide. “I wanted to keep Emma’s hair structured without feeling too stiff, and the bun allowed for her look to be simple and elegant yet fresh,” Mara says.
3. Finish the look with Couture Colour Pequi Oil Finishing Polish to amp up shine and accentuate the curves of the style.
Get the Makeup Look:
1. Prep skin with Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer.
2. Apply Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse Makeup in Vanilla to even skin tone, and spot-treat with Revlon Photoready Concealer in Light. Dust Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher to set the skin look.
3. Rather than use traditional blush, dot on, and then blend in, Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Cotton Candy, which lends a faintest pink sheen.
4. Brush on the pink quadrant from Revlon Colorstay 16 HR Eyeshadow Quad in Goddess from lash line to brow.
5. Draw on an elongated cat eye with Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eyeliner. Apply a few lashings of Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara in Black.
6. Play up arms, shoulders and collarbones with St. Tropez Skin Illuminator in Rose. “It adds a pink undertone and a beautiful glow that pops against the dress,” says Rachel.
7. Finish the look with a deep pink lip using Revlon Colorburst Lipgloss in Crystal Lilac.
(Products Used: mark Cosmetics)
Overall Inspiration: Glowing gold eyes strike a gorgeous balance with her custom Alexander McQueen dress.
Get the Look:
1. Hydrate skin with mark For Goodness Face Antioxidant Skin Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30, and then prep with mark Primed for Perfection Face Primer “to create a strong, moisturized base,” says Mai.
2. Apply mark Min-A-Real Cream-To-Powder Foundation with Mineral Pigments in Buff using the mark Foundation Brush. Touch up any imperfections by dabbing mark Good Riddance Hook Up Concealer in Fair/Light under eyes and around the nose.
3. Create a radiant glow by concentrating mark Just Pinched Instant Blush Tint in Peachy on the apples of the cheeks. Then dust mark Matte-Nificent Oil-Absorbing Powder in Ivory/Nude over top, and further layer mark Good Glowing Custom Pick Powder Blush in Cameo Glo on the tops of the cheeks to set.
4. Blend a variety of gold and copper shades from mark On The Dot Netural Eye Color Compact from the lash line to the crease using the mark All Over Eye Shadow Brush. Bring the same blend along the lower lash line using the mark Flat Eyeliner Brush to ensure the color hugs the lash line.
5. Draw a subtle cat eye with mark Keep it Going Longwear Eyeliner & Shadow in Entourage along the top lash line. Add further definition by applying two coats of mark Lash All You Want High-Volume Mascara in Black to the top and bottom lashes.
6. To complete the glowing look, apply Lipclick Full Color Lipstick in Bare Hug to lips.
Which of these fine beauties trotted your favorite beauty look down the 2012 Oscars red carpet?
(Images: via Celebutopia)