Red Carpet Beauty: 2012 MTV Movie Awards Tuesday 05 June, 2012
From sleek and chic Jessica Biel to tousled and carefree Kristen Stewart: The makeup and hairstyles seen at the 2012 MTV Movie Awards were as eclectic as the beauties that wore them.
I am detecting a small shift. Celebrities are going a teensy, eensy bit more daring with their beauty. Or maybe this just seems to be the case at the 2012 MTV Movie Awards because, well, it’s MTV, and it’s not taken seriously like, say, the Oscars. But I don’t care! If there’s a modicum of fearless beauty shown on a red carpet, I get excited. And I can’t hide it.
Here are a few striking beauties from the event who either went beyond sleek and chic (Jessica Biel) or took tousled and carefree to the extreme (Kristen Stewart). Here, a peek at the steps behind some of the MTV Movie Awards’ A-lister beauty looks.
Overall Inspiration: Grunge rock-and-roll meets retro punk.
Get the Hair Look:
1. On wet hair, apply a fist full of Fekkai Coiff Strong Hold Volume Mousse, concentrating your application at the roots.
2. Rough-dry the hair using only your hands to create texture.
3. Create 2-inch sections and use a ½-inch curling iron to curl each section from the roots to the ends.
4. Use your fingers to separate the curls. Create an “undone” side part by using your hand to sweep the top of the hair over to one side.
5. Finish by amplifying texture with Fekkai Summer Hair Beach Waves Spray. Once sprayed all over the hair, use a diffuser to lock in the shape and body of the hair.
Get the Makeup Look:
1. Create a healthy-looking cheek with Josie Maran Argan Cream Blush in Sun Kissed.
2. Focus attention on the eyes by applying NARS Eyeshadow in Honesty, and lining eyes with Jillian Dempsey Professional for Avon Smokifier in Very Black.
3. Dab Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant on lids after applying makeup to impart a somewhat glossy finish.
4. Apply a few swipes of Dior Show Mascara to lashes.
5. Give lips a hint of pink color with Clinique Butter Shine Lipstick in Baby Baby.
(Products used: Victoria’s Secret Beauty)
Overall Inspiration: Retro with a modern twist—strong eye plus a neutral lip
Get the Look:
1. Prep skin with VS Pro FX Face Primer SPF 20, and then apply foundation and concealer where needed using the VS Pro Camouflage FX Concealer Palette.
2. Pat VS Pro Radiant Fix Face Illuminator along the bridge of the nose and on the tops of the cheekbones.
3. Set the face makeup with VS Minerals Pressed face Powder in Light.
4. Sweep Beauty Rush Radiant Blush in Fresh Love on the apples.
5. Brush shimmery grey eye shadow from VS Makeup Eye Shadow Quad in Satisfied along the bottom lid and the purple eye shadow from the Ravishing quad on the top lid. “This gives a modern-day twist on the smokey eye,” says Fiona.
6. Line the water rim with Beauty Rush Precision Liner in Hot Slate and then smudge it into the lower lashes, blending it down into the skin.
7. Using the grey shadow again, sweep it over the liner to intensify the color and stop it from moving. Smudge Hot Slate liner along the top lashes, and apply a dusting of plum shadow over the lid.
8. Highlight the inner corners of the eyes with shimmering pink eye shadow, and apply VS Makeup Extra Lengthening Mascara in Blackest Black.
9. Using your finger, pat on VS Makeup Perfect Lipstick in Wish so that it appears more like a stain. “This makes the look feel a little cooler and less done,” says Fiona.
(Products used: Frederic Fekkai)
Overall Inspiration: The look was created to compliment Jessica’s sophisticated and highly detailed dress.
Get the Look:
1. On wet hair, apply Fekkai Coiff Strong Hold Volume Mousse mixed with Fekkai Advanced Brilliant Glossing Cream from roots to ends.
2. Blow-dry hair using a round brush for lush volume and to maximize shine.
3. Run a small amount of Fekkai Silky Straight Ironless Smooth Finish Serum through the hair to prevent any flyaways and tame the ends.
(Products used: Moroccanoil)
Overall Inspiration: A free-flowing hairstyle that is simple and healthy looking.
Get the Look:
1. Apply Moroccanoil Treatment Light mixed with a small amount of Moroccanoil Hydrating Styling Cream on damp hair. “This instantly enhances the quality of hair and gives it an incredible luster,” says Enzo.
2. Blow-dry hair using two different size round brushes: a medium one close to the roots for more grip and a larger one on the ends.
3. When hair is almost dry, spray the sections close to the head with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong to add lift and hold.
Which was your favorite beauty look from the 2012 MTV Movie Awards?
(Photos: Charlize via Getty Images; Kristen courtesy of Fekkai; Elizabeth courtesy VB Beauty; Jessica via celebutopia.net)